To Our Friends of Survivor Journeys,
As we approach the end of 2017, on behalf of the Survivor Journeys Board, I wish you the best for the holiday season for you and your family. This is truly a season of gratitude for many of us who have been lucky enough to call ourselves cancer survivors and for Survivor Journeys who continues to grow and support so many of you.
Thank you for your donations, for participating in our support groups and mentoring program, and for helping us celebrate at our recent annual gala. Your generosity and support helped us reach our goals this year and our work continues. We have served over 250 survivors and their loved ones this year, twice as many as expected and more than last year. With your support, in 2017 we were able to:
- Provide multiple support groups
- Launch a mentoring program so survivors can connect with someone who has experienced similar treatment or be a mentor to others.
- Pay for several children with cancer to have a true summer camp experience at Camp Casco. Children are able to create positive, lasting memories, share experiences, as well as have fun in a safe and secure, caring environment
- Sponsor two significant makeover events for breast cancer survivors
- Participate in local “Relay for Life” events, providing gift bags to cancer survivors
- Provide hats and other items to inpatient oncology patients at Baystate Medical Center to support their treatment and recovery
- Transport survivors to and from support groups through a partnership with Hurley’s Livery
We have plans in the coming year to expand our support group offerings for caregivers and other cancer specific groups as well as provide programming for young adults. Please feel free to contact us if we can help support you or the cancer survivors in your life. If you are interested in volunteering please contact us. We welcome the help.
A special thank you to Helen and S. Prestley Blake who generously continue to match all donations this year. Again, many thanks to all who continue to support us with kindness and generosity. Together we are making a difference!
Feel free to contact me at any time if you have questions or ideas about how to enhance our services. Happy holidays and the best of health in the New Year,
Jay Burton, DO
Founder/President, Survivor Journeys